Cancer is a disease of the cells that can start almost anywhere in the body.
In all types of cancers – there are about 100 – the normal cell process is interrupted. Cells survive when they should have died, and new cells form when not needed. Malignant cells divide non-stop and spread into nearby tissues, and in some cases other parts of the body.
Early detection is best, as treatment is likely to be more effective. Medical tests can detect some cancers before symptoms occur. Screening programs are available for breast, cervical and bowel cancers.
Noticing unusual changes, and seeing a doctor immediately is important. Symptoms may include:
- blood in a bowel motion
- breast change – colour, pain, shape, nipple discharge, nipple turns inwards (wasn’t before)
- breast lumpiness or thickened area
- coughing up blood
- coughs or hoarseness that won’t go away
- lump in the neck, armpit or anywhere else
- moles that change shape, size, colour, or bleed
- sores or ulcers that don’t heal
- toilet habit changes – that last more than two weeks
- unexplained weight loss
- unusual vaginal discharge or bleeding
Our certified oncology massage therapists have specialist training via Oncology Massage Limited. OML trains massage therapists for the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre and created techniques based on research results.